It is that time of week again! I’m finally on the mend from that monster cold and that meant I was feeling up to a day full of food prep. I love prepping food for the week because it helps me stay on track with healthy meals. If all the hard work is taken out of making wholesome, nutritious food, I have no excuse to order in or eat junk food.
On Sunday I went grocery shopping and came home and made Butternut Carrot Whole Wheat Muffins (I used regular eggs, reduced the amount of maple syrup and added raisins and/or sunflower seeds to some of them), freezer breakfast sandwiches for Klaus, I cooked up a mess of chickpeas from dried for meals this week and washed and cleaned fruits and veggies – including grapes, radishes, cucumbers and carrots.
Klaus and I are both trying really hard to get on and stay on a healthy path. A few hours of week spent in the kitchen definitely helps us do that!
Now, on to the menu plan!
Menu Plan April 16 – May 2
Any substitutions or changes I plan are noted below
- Sunday: Garlicky Swiss Chard and Chickpeas over Wheat Berries (photo below!)
- I sliced up a few of the chard stems and cooked them along with the shallots and garlic
- Monday: Chickpea Schwarma over brown rice, side of roasted zucchini
- Obviously, I’m serving this with brown rice instead of millet because I can’t find millet at my local stores
- Topping it with roasted red peppers, feta, homemade tzatziki, parsley and red onion
- Tuesday: Book club! We usually meet at Thainy
- Wednesday: Southwestern Kale Power Salad with Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Avocado Sauce
- Thursday: Seared Cod with Cucumber Relish, side salad
- Friday: Veggie Frittata (really this is my “use what veggies are left in the fridge before they go bad” meal)
- Saturday: I’m hoping it is warm enough for roof top bars this weekend, if so – we’ll be eating out! If not, I’ll make something from what is left in the fridge – a fried rice or pasta dish usually.